You hardly hear any big news from this landlocked mountainous mineral rich country in Asia. They are strong people and excel in few warrior sports (Boxing, Wrestling) in Olympics. Interestingly they were the most powerful nation in the world during the 1200 AD. Mongolia was ruled by one of the greatest king of all times - Genghis Khan. Started as a Tribal leader and quickly grew up the ranks.
In a few years time, he conquered all the major empire’s of his times including China, Persia and Egypt. The world revolved around one man at that time.
The ruler of Mongolia
Mongolia when Genghis Khan just started
Mongolian Empire with Genghis Khan’s conquests
Genghis Khan – Scaling Beyond Imagination
From a small time tribal leader to a world’s feared ruler. Genghis Khan set the world on fire.
To conquer China, Persia, Russia and Eastern Europe in those days were very hard. Even harder if you consider there was no advanced technology or Transport vehicles to support. Genghis Khan’s ideas to grow were simple. He built the most ethnically and diverse army in the history that could help scale. He respected command and was a great student of learning war, arts, science and mathematics.
Genghis Khan and Nimble Storage – The Synergy (I could never resist writing)
- Genghis Khan’s success is his ability to work across any tribal areas/kingdom.
- Nimble Storage launched the Scale-Out Operating system that work across any Nimble Storage controller hardware
- Scale-to-Fit Ability
- Genghis Khan ability to Scale as desired
- Nimble Storage could Scale-Up, Scale-Deep and Scale-Out as required by customers
- Phenomenal Growth and Vision
- Genghis Khan had phenomenal success as he embraced newer methods to scale his kingdom
- Nimble Storage embraces Innovative Hybrid Storage approach and having phenomenal success. All with a Brilliant vision in hand.
The market for Flash market is booming, Performance at Affordable cost, Data Protection and Replication, Efficiency are all just the right market ingredients for Nimble Storage. Like Genghis Khan, Nimble Storage is all set for much wider adoption and growth with Scale rapidly.
Nimble Storage Scales-Out
Nimble Storage recently announced its Production use of OS 2.0 which supports Scale-out Storage Technology. This is a great step forward to support customers who are facing major challenges with explosive growth in data and managing multiple silo's with difficulty.
Key functionality of Scale-Out on Nimble Storage
- Single-console management of all storage hardware resources as a single storage entity
- Dynamic load balancing to eliminate performance hot-spots across multiple arrays
- Multi-array data striping, enabling any application to fully leverage the collective hardware resources of the scale-out group
- Seamless reconfiguration and hardware refreshes, without downtime
- Flexible configuration of any combination of Nimble Storage arrays, maximizing storage ROI
Quick Highlights with Nimble OS 2.0
There are some exciting new features on Nimble Storage OS 2.0.
They allow you to specify the arrays that may be used to Store LUNs associated with a Pool. One array can join one pool and you can have many pools. All Nimble Storage Controller hardware are supported. (CS2xx and CS4xx series)
In the above picture, two arrays are used to create a Pool
Pool Rebalancing and Evacuation
Nimble OS 2.0 will support Pool Rebalancing across multiple arrays that are in the Scale-Out Configuration. Also you could Evacuate an array as required with completely Non-Disruptive Operations.
Monitoring - Single Pane of Glass
Automated Multipath Management
Wondered how good if the software can manage and map all the paths from host/initiators to the storage targets automatically?
This is exactly what Nimble Storage offers with Nimble Connection Manager software. It selects the most optimum path for the disk access and also provides automated Load Balancing and Redundancy.
So what is the Big Deal?
Scale-Out Storage is a Mandatory requirement for customers facing Data Deluge. One could argue that Scale-Up are good enough if packed with many multi-core CPUs and Disks. But it does not solve the many critical issues that Scale-Out architectures provides. Linear Performance and capacity scaling is a major advantage. Evacuation of Data is a great option to get rid of older controllers non-disruptively. Managing many arrays from a single point of glass as a single entity.
If you love the value of VMware Clustered ESX Operating system managed by single vCenter console, you would with Nimble Storage for Scale-Out SAN as well.
More details to be shared on this exciting 2.0 release.
Brilliantly Scale-Out with Nimble.